Monday, December 1, 2008

Our Thanksgiving

12/01/08 - 22w5d

It's been a good Thanksgiving.

I had my follow up visit to the diabetic counselor Wednesday. After I confessed my one night of wild abandon with a take out box full of Vietnamese noodles, the nurse checked my numbers. She said my glucose levels after meals were on track but some of my fasting numbers were high. I have noticed that if I eat a snack after dinner, it elevates my fasting number. I feel better about managing the GD with diet. I need to have the OB check for ketones in my urine because it could be a sign of a more serious condition, Diabetic ketoacidosis.

We spent Thanksgiving at Rod's parent's house. We spend Thanksgiving there every year and there is so great food that I usually stuff myself silly. This year, I brought my own salad, vegetables and sweet potato. I ate turkey and ham and my healthy sides. I checked my blood sugar after lunch and it was good so I treated myself to some sweets. Rhonda, my wonderful and very generous sister-in-law, made a Splenda pumpkin pie. I ate a small slice of that and a tiny, tiny sliver of caramel pecan pie and one even tinier brownie bite. It was so good. The pumpkin pie was really good and you could not tell it was made with Splenda. She used the recipe on the Libby's can and subbed 3/4 cup Splenda for the 1 cup sugar.

I did a little bit of walking to work off all that food and I know it helped keep my levels within range. When medical practitioners tell diabetics to exercise, you best do it. This way you can eat pumpkin pie and caramel pecan pie and brownie bites.

1 comments:

Floriae said...

I always skipped my after dinner snack because of the fasting number too -