I found the MaraNatha almond butter at Walmart. They have other flavors like maple, dark chocolate, caramel, and crunchy. I think I may try these brownies with another flavor or almond butter and see how they taste. The carob chips were a bit harder to locate but I did find them at Whole Foods for about 3 dollars a bag.
- 2 cup mashed sweet potato (about 2-3 sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup smooth nut butter of choice (I recommend almond or cashew butter)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1-2 cups carob chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a small cake/loaf pan (I used 8x8 pan)
- On the stove, melt nut butter with maple syrup
- In a large bowl add the mashed sweet potato, melted nut butter and
maple syrup, and cocoa powder and mix well
- Fold in carob chips, as many as you want.
- Pour mixture into greased pan. Optional: sprinkle carob chips on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan before slicing and
These brownies are best when cooled completely otherwise they will be too mushy and will fall apart. Store in fridge or freezer and ENJOY!The benefits of these sweet potato brownies.
Sweet Potatoes have a natural sweetness that can help you reduce your sugar intake, supports blood sugar management, if you have a serious sweet tooth. They have a relatively high glycemic index and can be great for those dealing with type 2 diabetes.
Anthocyanin (what makes a sweet potato orange) provides excellent anti-inflammatory benefits. The benefits of this compound are felt the most in the nerve tissue and brain.
Sweet potatoes are full of vitamins A and C, making them great for
your immune system. They also have vitamin B6, B1, B2, B3, manganese, copper, phosphorus,
potassium, and fiber; all of which are compounds that support the work of the digestive system, keep our blood safe and support our overall health.
Maple Syrup contains up to 24 different antioxidants that are beneficial for reducing free radical damage that can cause inflammation and contribute to the formation of various chronic diseases.
When I pulled the brownies from the oven, the boys immediately asked me for a bite. They were saddened to learn they had to wait for them to cool. I was impatient so I went ahead and cut them while they were warm and they fell apart. Despite the fact that the texture is mushier than a normal brownie, these are REALLY good. If you like super sweet desserts, this may not be the one for you. Carob chips are not super sweet but they were perfect for my sweet tooth.
If you want another sweet potato brownie recipe, try Dr. Axe's 16 ingredient recipe. As for me, I am sticking with the 5 ingredient version.
*Post contains affiliate links