Wednesday, January 28, 2009

CVS smart shopping

1/27/09 - 30w7d

I am trying to find ways to save money and I was introduced to CVS deals from Mommies With Cents. If I go to a drug store at all, I normally go to Walgreens since that is where I get my prescriptions filled. It is also closer to my house than CVS. But after reading several posts regarding how to maximize savings at CVS, by using coupons, earning and spending Extra Care Bucks (ECB), I decided to give it a try.

My first shopping venture was for the following:
(2) Huggies Supreme 40 count newborn diapers for $10 ea - spend $20 get $5 ECB
(1) Cottonelle Bath Tissue 20pk for $12.97 - earn $4 ECB
(1) Cottonelle wipes for $5.98 - earn $3 ECB
(1) Johnson/Johnson Head to Toe Baby Wash for #3.99 - earn $1 ECB

I spent about $43 and got $13 ECB to spend on the next purchase. I don't plan to shop at CVS every week but I will definitely be on the lookout for future ads to see what I can spend my ECB on and get more ECBs. There are mommy bloggers who swear by CVS.

Visit these links to learn and earn:

i heart cvs - This is a great resource to get the ad, see a list of the deals, get coupons and get a free spreadsheet to track Extra Care Bucks. A spreadsheet! That is right up my alley.

CVS.com - Get an extra care card and register the card. You can track the ECB you earn and if you lose the printed copy, you can reprint the coupons from the site. Sign up for email alerts to. A feature I like is the shopping list. You can brows the circular ad and ad items to a shopping that can you can print and take with you to the store.

The "Cent"sible Sawyer - Lists deals and spending scenarios with coupons. Also has a list of the abbreviations & lingo used to become a super CVS shopper.

ECB - Extra Care Bucks - CVS "money" printed on receipts to be used like cash in store
OOP - Out of Pocket - actual cash paid
Peelie - Peelable coupon located on packages
RR - Register Reward - Walgreen's "money" printed on receipts to be used like cash in store
BOGO: Buy One Get One FREE!
2/$5: This means 2 items for $5 (of course there could be other numbers like 3/$10 means 3 items for $10).
$1/2: This means $1 off of 2 items, in other words you must buy 2 items and then the coupon will work (of course it could be different numbers like $2/1 means $2 off 1 item).
wyb: when you buy
Catalina: thin paper coupon that prints out from a separate machine (like at grocery stores)
MIR: Mail in Rebate
SS: Smart Source (coupon insert in the newspaper)
P&G: Proctor and Gamble (another coupon insert in the newspaper-once monthly)
RP: Red Plum (coupon insert in the newspaper)
exp: expires (usually followed by the date of expiration - like on coupons)

0 comments: