Monday, December 21, 2009

You can't handle the boob

This is information I got in an email from Baby Weekly tips. I could not find a link.


If your baby's teeth come in while you are still breastfeeding, you may be bit while nursing. This can happen for a number of reasons: if she's biting early in the feeding, she might be over-eager or frustrated, waiting for your milk to let down. If she bites late in the feeding, she may be sleepy and feeling her latch slip. Your baby's latch may also be affected if she has a cold or stuffy nose, and may bite while adjusting. And, of course, your baby may just mistake your nipple for a teething ring and try to
relieve sore gums.

To stop your baby from biting while nursing, calmly and gently remove her from your breast and say "Don't bite Mommy" or "Don't hurt Mommy." Put her down gently or hand her to someone else and wait a minute or two before you try to nurse again. This teaches her that when she bites, the milk goes away. Repeat this as often as necessary. However, always remain calm if bitten - never scream or yell. Startling or yelling at your baby may form a bad association with breastfeeding and she may refuse to feed altogether. Early and sudden weaning can be traumatic for you and your baby.

Sam cut his teeth first. I still tried to nurse him but it became too painful. He would suddenly bite down and it would take me by surprise. I don't know about any one else, but when sharp objects suddenly apply great force on a sensitive body part, I am hard pressed to stay calm. I admit there were a couple of occasions where Sam and I scared each other. I think this is why he went on a boob strike and did not nurse for almost 2 months. He recently started back up and even though he still bites (to remind me that he is boss) he is much better. I do find that I tense up every time he latches. Hubby says teeth equals no more nursing. I plan to ween after their first birthday which is only 2 months away.

I think I will be more sad when that time comes. I know that there are different ways to bond with your children but this was extra special for me. I am able to provide immunity, nutrients and all around goodness to the boys. That's something I am very proud of. I have the teeth marks to show for it.

0 comments: