Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Kitcheneez with Washington, D.C. Oven Rotisserie Chicken


I fully admit that homemaking is not my forte. Cooking, cleaning, household chores; I stink at it all. I will do all these things but I don't find much joy in it. I can go by a few days (i.e. weeks) without having to do any laundry or deep cleaning but feeding the family, I feel compelled to do this daily.

When one of my networking friends approached me about a new business line that helps busy people make home cooked meals, my interest was piqued. Planning meals is definitely something I don't make time to do. I decided to buy a few packets to try out and after I made this meal, I signed up to be an independent distributor/consultant for Kitcheneez. But more on that later.


The Washington, D.C. Oven Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning Mix states:
You'll love how easy this is to prepare. It should come with a warning though...the smell will drive you crazy while it's cooking! All Natural, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Meat Free, Sugar Free, No MSG.
I bought a fresh whole chicken at HEB. I was not able to make it right away so I had to freeze the chicken. The directions call for 2 chickens but I decided to go with a medium to large chicken. I prepared the chicken as directed on the seasoning packet: clean chicken and dig out the innards, then pat dry. I placed the chicken inside an oven cooking bag and placed in a shallow baking dish. I stuck half of a ginormous yellow onion inside the cavity. Taking the seasoning, I sprinkled it on the chicken and used the bag to rub it in. (I cannot stand touching raw meat.)

Basically, I did some sprinkling, rubbing, shaking and shimmying with the seasoning all over the chicken and inside the cavity. Having the oven bag was great because I did not have to touch the chicken once. I used about 90% of the packet.

The cooking time called for 5 hours at 350 degrees. Considering I did not pay attention to this and it was 3 o'clock on Sunday, I decided to cook it at 400 degrees and hope that it would be done in 3 hours. I did let the chicken thaw for 24 hours in the refrigerator and 4 hours in the sink so it was not a frozen mass of poultry.

I decided against placing any veggies in the bag with the chicken but wanted to include carrots, potatoes and celery. Using a steamer, I added the veggies and sprinkled the rest of the seasoning on them. This allowed me to control how long I steamed the veggies rather than letting them sit in the oven bag, getting soggy.

The chicken turned out beautifully! I had to cut the chicken to make sure it was cooked thoroughly, so it looks a bit mutilated. See that ginormous onion? It was shoved in there but I guess the chicken pushed it out during cooking. If you decide to stuff the cavity with veggies or stuffing, make sure you plug up that hole lest it all spill out.

The chicken was moist and tender and the seasoning was perfect. Even though the packet said to use it on two chickens, I think it is best with one. The seasoning baked on the skin and created a crunchy layer while adding a bit of  spice to it.


You can visit my brand new site and browse the many options for seasoning and fruit packets. The prices range from $4 to $5 per packet so it is really affordable. Bundles are also offered with free special seasoning packets or Rada cutlery. I only recently joined with the $20 quick starter package which is available until the end of June. Check it out. http://www.kitcheneez.biz/msthao

I will be posting more cooking experiments with Kitcheneez!

0 comments: