Wednesday, February 4, 2009

32 Week Update

2/3/09 - 32w0d

twins_week32

I had an ultrasound last week and everything looks as it should according to the masochistic sonographer. She's the same one from this visit. I am scheduled for the next one in 2 weeks and I made it on a different day in hopes of getting a different technician. Maybe another sonographer will be kinder to my belly and more forthcoming with baby stats.

The further along in a pregnancy, the ultrasound pictures are not as clear and you are not able to see features as clearly. I asked about the size and weight of the babies and I was told you can't tell.

I missed posting about babies last week so here is the info for 31 weeks.
At 31 weeks, babies lungs are almost mature, however, these last few weeks are crucial to healthy and complete lung development. They each weigh approximately 3.5 pounds, about 4 navel oranges. They measure just over 16 inches from head to heel, and are getting used to the world of light and dark by opening and closing their eyes. Their facial muscles continue to strengthen, and they can make different expressions. They can turn their heads from side to side, and his arms, legs, and body are beginning to plump out as needed fat accumulates underneath their skin.

At 32 weeks, the babies weighs 3.75 pounds, the size of a large jicama and is about 16.7 inches long, taking up a lot of space in your uterus. I am starting to gain weight after being at the same weight for the last 2 months. Babies now have toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz).

The babies are moving a lot. Well at least the pirate is moving like an acrobat in Cirque du Soliel. I read that they should be sleeping 90-95% of the day. I can already tell pirate baby takes after his parents who definitely don't get enough sleep. He moves so much and so vehemently that watching my stomach is like watching that scene in Alien where the alien bursts out of John Hurt's stomach.

I am pleasantly surprised that I have made it this far and am still in good shape. However, I can tell I am nearing the end. My belly is 42 inches and is so stretched that every movement the babies make is almost painful and shows through my shirts. My belly buttons has not popped but it is numb and almost angry. I am always short of breath and walking a short distance wears me out. I just hope I can make it to the end of February. At least until I get the childbirth prep, breastfeeding and child care classes out of the way.

Here are my belly pics at 32 weeks. I must warn you, it's like driving by an accident. You know you shouldn't look but you do anyway.

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

1 comments:

Sarah said...

Your belly is cute, really. :o) And you look like you're in good shape. My belly with Daniel seemed bigger than that, and I don't know how or why. He was only 7p7oz. Must have something to do with being a 3rd baby - my body was just ..blooey.. hah!