Monday, October 18, 2010

Community garage sales

I think this is my new hobby. Scouting community garage sales for deals. I went to another sale this weekend. I have been looking for a little toddler table and maybe some pretend play toys like dishes and pots and pans. I have yet to find them but look what I did find:







2 Tommy Hilfiger men's button down shirts
1 sweatshirt hoodie, mens
5 shorts 4T
1 jeans 4t
1 Ralph Lauren button down 4t
1 Chaps button down 4t
2 shirts
Leapfrog Imagination desk

Guess how much I paid for all of this. I'll give you a minute to guess.


Would you believe I got all of this for $15?

My first stop was the rocking horse. I was looking at it and the owner said I could have it for free since it did not have handles. Of course I took it. Rod can use a dowl to create handles.

As I was circling a cul-de-sac to continue on my shopping, I saw a couch with a free sign. I stopped to inspect it and wondered how on earth I was going to get that thing in the back of the truck. It was a nice couch even though there was noticeable wear and tear. I wanted it. I debated calling Rod to come and help but he was watching the kids. I scooted the couch to the curb. It was so heavy. I looked around to see if there was anyone that could help me. Not a soul. I imagined they were all nestled in their homes, peeking out the window with their iPhones ready to record a short Asian woman trying to move a sofa, to post on YouTube hoping to get millions of hits and get a spot on Oprah. I was determined to get that free couch so I summoned all the strength my 5 foot frame could muster and I crouched, I braced, I lifted and I hoisted one end onto the bed. I went to the other end and I crouched, I braced, I lifted and I hoisted the couch into the bed of the truck. Feeling triumphant and just a little herniated, I went to close the door. The couch was 2 inches too long. Thank goodness Rod keeps bungy cords in the truck. I hooked it all up and was on my way. The next two stops were the clothing items and that was where I spent the $15.

I was so excited to have found a 2nd Imagination desk. I bought the one from the previous sale and the boys fought over it. Now they will each have their own and I spent $5 total for the both of them.

When I got home, Rod was shocked I got a couch for free. He was even more in awe of the fact that I got it onto the truck by myself. Clearly he underestimates the power of pure adrenaline running through my veins at the prospect of getting free items.

1 comments:

Xtina said...

I pretty much got obsessed with garage sales, estate sales, flea markets, thrift stores and consignment shops to decorate and furnish my living room