Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mom with Boys

...go straight to heaven according to this shirt. Is this true? 'Cause I need some help in that area.

Sometimes, the boys just work my nerves. The constant fighting over toys, whining to be picked up, having a tantrum over bath time, it gets too much. I can't stand crying and whining. I am talking about a 15 minute crying fit type of crying and whining. Not the little bursts that come on because they fell or because we made them come inside when they wanted us to keep pushing them on the swing. It's the full blown, fall to the ground, stomp your feet, throw your head back, throwing objects kind of tantrum. Where do toddlers learn that??

There are times I get so frustrated, I raise my voice. I show my irritation. I throw my own tantrum. And that is not what I want to teach the kids. I read parenting books and magazines that expound on how to be a great parent. How to show that you understand their pain and are there to comfort them. But when you have two crying kids in each arm, that wealth of information flies out the window.

I don't know how stay at home moms do it. I really admire those individuals who can be with their kids 24/7. I am not the stay at home kind. I thought I could be the stay at home kind. It takes a special mom for that. I know that I am a better mom to my kids by being a working mom. Of course I miss them during the day. It was really hard for me to put them in daycare because of all the things I would miss being away from them. But they love their school and I feel they are happy and thriving.

As for me, when I am with them at night and the weekends, I can devote time to them by playing with them. We get to do fun activities and go on outings. I think it helps me to be a better mom. I can provide for them. They get the attention they deserve at school. Being a working mom doesn't work for everyone but it works for me.

Now, I just need to know where I get my non-stop ticket to heaven. And do I get to fly first class?

1 comments:

letti said...

at this moment in time, i'm a stay at home mom, and some days it drives me just batty. Yes, I feel the same way you do - I get frustrated, I raise my voice, I show my irritation, and then I feel like an awful parent and start reading Positive Parenting articles to get some inspiration and try to be better. Hang in there, momma. You are doing the best you can, and that is way above and beyond what anyone can imagine. The boys are growing up strong, healthy and surrounded by love, and they have their mommy to thank for that :)